I think we know more about safe sex than we do about safe computing. Over the last few decades public education has made us aware of the need for safe sex. I think there are lots of lessons for us to learn from the safe sex campaigns as computer users.
What is safe sex?
Safe sex is sexual activity undertaken by people using a range of precautions to protect themselves against sexually transmitted infections (STIs) or sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and to avoid pregnancy. It can also be referred to as safer sex to more precisely reflect the fact that these practices reduce, but do not completely eliminate, the risk of disease transmission.
There are many forms of safe sex ranging from abstinence, cybersex, to barrier protection.
How to practice safe computing
Abstinence from computing is not an option in the modern workplace. We cannot avoid using our computers so we have to practice safe computing. However, there are lots of things we can do to minimise risks. Here are a few tips from The Vault Corporation on practicing safe computing:
- Keep your servers in a locked and secure location.
- Make sure you have good firewall protection to protect your network from virus and other malware.
- Keep your servers and computers in a food and drink free environment to avoid physical damage.
- Make sure you are using good computing practices to avoid virus and malware contamination.
- Make sure you run regular checks of your anti-virus software to make sure it is functioning properly.
- Make sure your security software is current and updated to the latest versions.
Don’t rely on your safe computing practices because no system can be 100% effective against security and safety breaches.
- Make sure you have all your files and systems backed up in case of disaster or emergency.
- Perform automated backups with multiple copies, and tested regularly.
Safe computing is like safe sex, you cannot eliminate all danger but you can reduce the risks to the point where you have peace of mind.
For more information about safe computing contact The Vault Corporation.